Sunday, December 11, 2011

The missing strands from yesteryears !

आया है मुझे फिर याद ओ जालिम, गुजरा ज़माना बचपन का,
हाय ! रे अकेले छोड़ के जाना, और ना आना बचपन का...
(- देवर/आनंद बक्शी/रफ़ी)

All of us at some point of time get reminiscent about our yesteryears and the connecting threads to those beautifully naive days. Dont we? Typically the existence amidst bare essentials and still an eruptive self confidence & heart at peace. Or may be this was the very reason of having such strong bond with those days. I mean the joy of getting my new car never matched the joy of getting my first second hand bicycle. The freedom of getting any amount of pocket money I want from our already restrained monthly budget was umpteen times more liberating (and satiating) than splurging on the latest point & shoot from my own salary. The fun of going to relatives' places during summer vacations was much more rejuvenating than traversing exotic places that I visit now,every year... 

1989-90 : A typical family sized vacation cum post b'day cool-off
Why is it so ? What is that one strand that I am missing ? What is that single chord that needs to be reset again as to render that ol' perfect harmony ? What is the missing component that is facilitating the staggered disintegration of my innate capability of drawing pleasure from smallest of the joys ? 

Or are these things not specific to me ??? Are you too also one of those who when get a chance to contemplate,get surprised by how much you have changed in past 1 decade ? Affirmative ?



 Genesis : Was watching Rangoli after so many years, the only streaming connection remaining from those days till today. Was reliving the joy of Sunday @ 8am till power went off.

7 comments:

  1. The innocence, lack of cynicism - where even the little joys meant a great deal.
    We all miss them don't we?

    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed ... And thanks for posting ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. well it does happen with everyone but i don't know why it never occurred to me..i still find joy in small things..when a stranger passing by, gives a smile..when you sing and dance in the bathroom..doing work with great efficiency in office and then irritating others..we all need to grow up and understand our responsibilities yet, we can fulfill them with a tinge of masti..its what and how you make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Astha. I am jealous for sure.

    I do feel that I can sense such small joys but getting full yesteryear like pleasure from them is something that is not there any more. Not that I hate the current situation since being like today has its own merit but then it got to have some mix of best of the things from 'those' days. Am glad you are still on with it. May you be all along ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have only one question. Who of these kids is you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Priyanka - The shortest of all, first row, second from left ... And the youngest of all, with my dad in the last row is my sister. Now thats a different story altogether that I am tallest of them all now ... :-)

    ReplyDelete