Wednesday, September 07, 2011

The Art of Giving and not feeling stupid ...

If you are someone who is even remotely like me when it comes to extending alms to the street urchins then you are a person who always gets into a fix (read freeze) whenever at an intersection an unidentified face glues onto to the car window asking for money or forces his/her services by cleaning windshield with a sandpaper like piece of cloth. Its a terrible feeling and yeah I run into frantic bouts of dilemma at many such occasions. Its a conflict of third order. As like all my other conflicts this also is naive, stupid to the core but conflict it is. There is a background to this because of my past experiences but that bit some other time. 

I have till date always refrained from letting my conscience fall into the trap and have always managed to divert my attention from the subject because I don't approve of professional urchinism... Don't trust me on that??? Cool... Remember CWG Delhi? 6 months before CWG,at a location near Rohini Delhi,there was being conducted a structured classroom training progg for the beggars deployed on the CWG routes. To get trained in mannerism, languages - German, French, English, Spanish et al... You call that availing best means to earn livelihood,I call it professional urchinism ... And not to my liking.

Anyways,so,that's how I usually have always been taking it. Not partaking of even a single rupee when it comes to beggars,principally. But then this is an extreme and at times unjust as well. I remember writing a poem on this (Click here to go to that in case this link thing works) long back just to get some perspective. Dint get it though eventually but still the thought was there. 

Last week was at home when mom came up with this thought and I indeed found it simplistic and easy to take up. Its about the old clothes everyone got at home. Its about keeping some of such cloths in your car whenever you go out and its about letting your heart decide whom to give those clothes at the signals you cross. So,you may choose to give clothes of your kid to a pretty child you find,begging or your clothes to a person who may seem to be in need. Its all about just taking a call. So,its not money so it doesn't promote those traits which drag us off charity and its simplistic so easy to execute.

Ok,you may find this very childish and rightly so but believe that's how it is supposed to be. Isn't it.
Think through or just let it pass. Random thoughts ... Yet again ...


No comments:

Post a Comment